The dog days of summer are here! We’re feeling the heat and so are our plants. They need to stay watered well throughout the summer, especially during this hot weather. Remember that all new plantings need deep waterings several times a week. Here’s how to keep your lawn & garden thriving this month.
- Harvest vegetables as they are ready.
- For tomatoes, apply Fertilome Yield Booster or Bonide Rot Stop to lessen the effect of blossom end rot.
- For vegetables, apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum Fungicide or Immunox to prevent diseases such as blight.
- For weeds, Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent them from germinating (you must weed first).
- Early July to Mid July fertilize your garden with Espoma Garden Food.
- If you had grub problems last year now is the time to apply Grub Free Zone to your lawn.
- Mow your lawn so blades are 2-2 ½” minimum. The roots grow in correlation to the length of the blade so the longer the blade, the deeper the roots.
- Fertilize once a week with any of our water soluble Fertilome products or see a sales associate about granular slow release fertilizer.
- Roses can be fertilized with Fertilome Rose and Flower Food.
- Watch for diseases such as powdery mildew. Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum to prevent diseases.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (must weed first).
- Apply Fertilome Over the Top or Ortho Grass B Gone to flower gardens to kill unwanted grass growing.
- Deadhead summer flowering shrubs as needed and shape throughout the season.