In the heat of July, it’s time to keep our lawns and gardens growing strong. Read up on some tips from our experts on harvesting vegetables at the right time, preventing diseases, controlling weeds, and keeping your flowers blooming with the right fertilizers. And don’t forget to properly water your plants to keep them flourishing throughout the summer season.
- Harvest vegetables as they are ready.
- Tomatoes apply Fertilome Yield Booster to lessen the effect of blossom end rot.
- Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum Fungicide or Immunox to vegetables to prevent diseases such as blight.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (you must weed first).
- Early July to Mid July fertilize your garden with Espoma Garden Food.
- Fertilize once a week with any of our water-soluble Fertilome products or see a sales associate about granular slow-release fertilizer.
- Roses can be fertilized with Fertilome Rose and Flower Food.
- Watch for diseases such as powdery mildew. Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum to prevent diseases.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (must weed first).
- Apply Fertilome Over the Top or Ortho Grass B Gone to flower gardens to kill unwanted grass growing.
- Deadhead summer flowering shrubs as needed and shape throughout the season.
- If you had grub problems last year now is the time to apply Grub Free Zone.
- Mow your lawn so blades are 2-2 1/2″ minimum. The roots grow in correlation to the length of the blade.
- The longer the blade the deeper the roots.
It is important to keep all plants well-watered throughout the summer season. All new plantings should be deeply watered several times a week.