Your garden is probably starting to reflect the hard work you’ve put into it. Keep pushing forward until harvest with this month’s checklist.
- Early July to Mid July, fertilize your garden with Espoma Garden Food.
- Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum Fungicide or Immunox to vegetables to prevent diseases such as blight.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (you must weed first).
- For tomatoes, apply Hi-Yield Bone Meal or Hi-Yield Calcium Nitrate to lessen the effect of blossom end rot.
- Harvest vegetables as they are ready.
- Fertilize once a week with any of our water soluble Fertilome products or see a sales associate about granular slow release fertilizer.
- Roses can be fertilized with Fertilome Rose and Flower Food.
- Watch for diseases such as powdery mildew. Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum to prevent diseases.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (must weed first)
- Apply Fertilome Over the Top or Ortho Grass B Gone to flower gardens to kill unwanted grass growing.
- Deadhead summer flowering shrubs as needed and shape throughout the season.
- For Crabgrass control, apply Weed out with Crabgrass Killer. This is safe for lawns but should not be applied when temps are above 90 degrees.
- If you had grub problems last year, now is the time to apply Grub Free Zone.
It is important to keep all plants well-watered throughout the summer season. All new plantings should be deeply watered several times a week.