This is the last month to rest before the busy spring season in the garden. However, if your green thumb is itching there are a few tasks that can be started now!
- Buy your Olds Garden Seed
- Eggplant and cole crops (depending on outdoor planting dates) can be started early for early outdoor seeding.
- Make seed tapes for your row crops.
Trees and Shrubs
- You can plant trees and shrubs this month but you should be finished well before the plants come out of dormancy
- If thinning plants, remember the rule of thirds, where no more than one-third of the plant should be trimmed off. Make sure your cutting tool is sharp and clean it between plants.
- Hydrangeas can be trimmed just as the leaf buds start to swell. Prune to thin the branches and also take off old flower buds.
- If enough snow melts where you can get to your perennials from last year, you can start clearing away some of the dead plant material if you did not have a chance to cut it off last fall. However, leave some plant material for added insulation in case we get a cold spell yet this spring.