Hello summer! The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it’s safe to say the threat the of snow has finally passed! It’s now time to give your lawn, garden and plants some love – here’s how to get started.
- Fertilize your lawn sometime between now and early June. We recommend Fertilome Weed Free Zone which will also take care of broadleaf weeds at this application. Keep in mind, the best time to kill broadleaf perennial weeds is the fall. If you aren’t dealing with weed control, use Fertilome Classic Lawn Food.
- Mow your lawn to a height of around 2.5 to 3”, going on the higher side as temperatures increase.
- Your lawn should be receiving 1-1 ½” of water a week. Remember that deeper watering is better than watering daily.
- Get your plants in the ground.
- Fertilize vegetables with our Espoma Garden Food, the perfect formulation for all veggies.
- Weed as needed. Apply Hi Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weed seeds from germinating every 6-8 weeks.
- It’s time to start planting! We have several ways to properly fertilize your annuals. Using Fertilome Blooming and Rooting and Fertilome Geranium, Hanging Baske and Pansy fertilizer in conjunction with each other is a great way to give your plants proper nutrition. We also like Fertilome Nutri Cote and Fertilome Start and Grow for those who like to fertilize once or twice a season!
Trees, Shrubs and Perennials
- As the soils warm up you can begin planting. See our sales associates with questions on proper techniques and plant selections to suit your situation.