This is the last month to rest before the busy spring season in the garden. However, if your green thumb is itching there are a few tasks that can be started now.
- Buy your Olds Garden Seed for tomatoes, peppers (hot varieties need planted sooner), eggplant and cole crops (depending on outdoor planting dates).
- Make seed tapes for your row crops.
- If enough snow melts that you can get to your perennials from last year, you can start clearing away some of the dead plant material. However, leave some for added insulation in case we get another cold spell this spring.
Trees and Shrubs
- These can be planted this month but should be finished well before plants come out of dormancy.
- If thinning plants, remember the rule of thirds, where no more than a third of the plant should be trimmed off. Make sure your cutting tool is sharp and clean it between plants.