Summer is in full swing, and your lawn and garden probably need a lot of attention. Here’s our summer gardening checklist to help keep your plants looking fresh.
- Harvest vegetables as they’re ready.
- Tomatoes: apply Hi-Yield Bone Meal or Hi-Yield Calcium Nitrate to lessen the effect of blossom end rot.
- Vegetables: apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum Fungicide or Immunox to prevent diseases such as blight.
- Weeds: apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent from germinating (you must weed first).
- Early July to mid July, fertilize your garden with Espoma Garden Food.
- Fertilize once a week with any of our water soluble Fertilome products or see one of our sales associates about granular slow release fertilizer.
- Roses can be fertilized with Fertilome Rose and Flower Food.
- Watch for diseases such as powdery mildew. Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum to prevent diseases.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (must weed first)
- Apply Fertilome Over the Top or Ortho Grass B Gone to your flower gardens to kill unwanted grass.
- Deadhead summer flowering shrubs as needed
- Shape throughout the season.
- If you had grub problems last year now is the time to apply Grub Free Zone.
- Mow your lawn so blades are 2-2 ½” minimum. The roots grow in correlation to the length of the blade. The longer the blade, the deeper the roots.
It’s important to keep all plants well-watered throughout the summer season. All new plantings should be deeply watered several times a week.