Keep your lawn and garden flourishing through the hot, South Dakota summer with this checklist of must-dos.
- Harvest vegetables as they are ready.
- Tomatoes apply Hi-Yield Bone Meal or Hi-Yield Calcium Nitrate to lessen the effect of blossom end rot.
- Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum Fungicide or Immunox to vegetables to prevent diseases such as blight.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (you must weed first).
- Early July to Mid July fertilize your garden with Espoma Garden Food.
- Fertilize once a week with any of our water soluble Fertilome products or see a sales associate about granular slow release fertilizer.
- Roses can be fertilized with Fertilome Rose and Flower Food.
- Watch for diseases such as powdery mildew. Apply Fertilome Broad Spectrum to prevent diseases.
- Apply Hi-Yield Herbicide Granules to prevent weeds from germinating (must weed first)
- Apply Fertilome Over the Top or Ortho Grass B Gone to flower gardens to kill unwanted grass growing.
- Trim lilacs and other spring flowering shrubs before the 4th of July.
- Deadhead summer flowering shrubs as needed and shape throughout the season.
It is important to keep all plants well-watered throughout the summer season. All new plantings should be deeply watered several times a week. Happy Gardening!